APPLICATION FOR SATELLITE CONFERENCES
Satellite Conferences are one of the most important scientific activities surrounding the celebration of every ICM. The Executive Committee of ICM2006 encourages all members of our mathematical community to get involved in the organization of scientific meetings and workshops on the occasion of the International Congress of Mathematicians that will take place in Madrid on August 22-30, 2006.
There are a small number of requisites in order for one of these meetings to be accepted as a “Satellite Conference”, on top of which we should mention the scientific quality and the interest of the research topics proposed, as well as the previous experience of the organizers. Other criteria to be considered are the following;
- The Conference may be organized by any scientific group in any of the research areas of current interest in mathematics
- The Conference must have a strong international projection and, therefore, it should be well balanced with respect to the participation of local and international specialists.
For strategic reasons, we ask for certain proximity in time to the ICM in Madrid. To that end, no Satellite Conference should start before July 17th or after September 18th. Some exceptional cases out of this range may be considered.
We also encourage people to coordinate efforts and avoid potential conflicts and/or overlapping with similar initiatives from research groups in the same scientific area.
FORMAL ASPECTS OF THE APPLICATION :
- The proposal to organize a Satellite Conference must be submitted to the Executive Committee of ICM2006 (see below) indicating a title, names of the local and scientific committees, dates and place of celebration and a short abstract with the topics to be covered. The proposal must necessarily include the name of the member of the organizing committee of the event that will act as coordinator and as contact person with the Executive Committee of ICM2006 .
- The applications will be evaluated by a subcommittee of experts and approved by the Executive Committee of ICM2006 .
- Once a proposal has been accepted, all the relevant information about the Conference will appear at the webpage of ICM2006. The organizers will create and maintain their own webpage that will be accessible from that of ICM.
- The search for financial support of a Satellite Conference is the sole responsibility of its organizing committee. The Executive Committee of ICM2006 would be happy to provide letters of support for whatever application to public or private institutions the organizers may need.
- The deadline to submit a proposal for the Satellite Conferences expires on January 15th, 2006 (new deadline).
Applications should be sent by electronic mail to
Departamento de Matemáticas
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
Tel: +34 91 497 4796
Fax: +34 91 497 4889
2004 © Copyright by Asociación International Congress of Mathematicians, ICM
2006 Madrid. All Rights Reserved.